Sunday, March 25, 2012

Teenager Advice

I teach the 16-18 year old girls at church and I love it! As I do this though I always get to think back to when I was a teenager and wish that I could go back in time and give myself advice. Not that it would've helped much, I think, because teenagers inately think that what they are going through is totally original to them and no one could ever understand. But, here is my attempt at trying:

1. High School is four years long. If you live to be 80, that is 5% of your life.

2. Most likely you will never see the people from High School again.

3. However, mom, dad, and siblings you will see for the rest of your life, therefore looking at #2 and #3 which relationships do you think are more important to focus on and build?

4. Once upon a time, mom was a girl dating boys...and dad was a boy dating girls. When you realize this there is a tresure trove of information! Mom- has been there and knows how to analyze with the best of them. And Dad- well he was a guy, therefore he knows how they think--you have an "in" to the guy brain!!

5. The High School boy will not be the guy you want to marry, so don't waste your time steady dating. Have fun!

6. Enjoy life! Not doing things, or moping about because of things you have no control over (i.e. moving from SoCal to Tennessee) punishes no one but yourself.

Now the next couple are things I did realize as a teenager, but I wish all teenagers realized this:

1.  This one is advice for my brother: If your parents know your friends, and if you follow the simple rules like calling when you will be late and always letting your parents know where you are, you will have a lot of freedom.

2. Hanging out with your family can be fun...plus parents pay for things when you are hanging with them.

3.  Teenage years are hard enough, don't add to the mix alcohol and drugs.

4. There is not one thing wrong with graduating from High School a virgin. In fact, please, please, please do....it really will make the entire rest of your life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment